[Savannah-hackers] submission of Tabukan - savannah.nongnu.org

From: alex_rufon
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Tabukan - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 06:54:26 -0500

Alexander M. Rufon <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: mbsd
Other License:
Package: Tabukan
System name: tabukan
Type: non-GNU

Tabukan is a first person shooter (FPS) game running on both Linux and win32
using the Torque Game Engine (TGE) SDK.

Although GarageGames license (the creator of the TGE) prohibits me from
releasing any SDK source ... they do allow distribution of application binaries
created from the SDK and its TGE scripts.

The TGE Script Language allows any third party developer to create game Mods
(or modifications) to the original game. It is using a C++ like language
(actually more akin C#), which interacts with the game binary to allow runtime
customization of the game. The TGE scripts are compiled at runtime by the game
binary allowing end-users or gamers to modify standard game behavior, allowing
developers to add new or replace existing game objects and if taken to the
extreme … create a new game WITHOUT recompiling the original game binary.

Therefore, my intention is to (1) freely distribute the game media (including
but not limited to sound effects, music, movies, images and models) and binary
and (2) open source the game’s TGE scripts. As much as possible, I will
negotiate with the game’s media authors to allow open sourcing of the medias
(ex. 3DSMax model Files, MilkShape3D’s model files, the Map files, textures,
etc.).

The game is using OpenAL as its primary sound driver and it will be using OGG
for in-game music and sound effects.

I already have an alpha version but I still need to remove proprietary game
media.

Other Software Required:
Sound Driver:
OpenAL

Game Modeling:
Blender3D (open source)
MilkShape3D (shareware)
3DSMax (commercial)

Game Mapping:
Quark (open source)
Valve Hammer Editor (free)

Textures:
Gimp (open source)

Other Comments:
The Torque Game Engine is developed by GarageGames.com or www.garagegames.com.

They allow licensing of their game engine for $100USD/developer.