[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Nixal GNU/Linux Usr Grp Website ( N

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Nixal GNU/Linux Usr Grp Website ( NSEC, Kolkata) - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:36:52 +0100

> It seems to me that these GUG are not GNU Projects, but the Nixal
> GNU/Linux Usr Grp during the registration asked to be considered as
> part of the GNU Project.

That is probably my fault for not being clear.

http://savannah.gnu.org/register/ says:

You are welcome to host your project in Savannah if it falls within
one of these 4 groups:

Software Project

        A Free Software package that can run on a completely free
        operating system, without depending on any non-free
        software. You can only provide versions for non-free operating
        systems if you also provide free operating systems versions
        with the same or more functionalities. Large software
        distributions are not allowed; they should be split into
        separate projects.

Free Documentation Projects

        Documentation for Free Software programs, released under a
        Free Documentation License.

Free Educational Textbook Projects

        Projects aimed to create educational textbooks, released under
        a Free Documentation License.

FSF/GNU projects

        Internal projects of the FSF and projects that have been
        approved by the coordinator of the GNU project, Richard
        Stallman.

ansuman asked me:

> And I dont know what catagory can we consider ourselves given the choices -
> "Software Project", "Free documentation project", "Free educational textbook
> project" or "FSF/GNU projects".

and I replied:

> You should qualify under FSF/GNU projects: your project has been
> approved in principle by the coordinator of the GNU project, Richard
> Stallman (you should probably mention that on the form, under step 2's
> "other comments" field).

because that was the only criteria they satisfied.

Perhaps it should mention GUG projects as a fifth group ?