[Savannah-hackers] submission of Salvager - savannah.gnu.org

From: savannah . gnu . org
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Salvager - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 21:34:10 -0500

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Aaron D. Ball <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Salvager
System name: salvager
Type: GNU

The source for Salvager is at <http://dbts.org/salvage/>.

Salvager attempts to read as much as possible of a damaged file (e.g., one that
includes bad disk blocks) in an efficient manner.  This is not a trivial
problem, since failed reads can take much longer to return than successful
ones, and so it's important to postpone multiple reads in dubious areas in
favor of looking for easily recovered data elsewhere.

Other Software Required:
Salvager is written in C and depends only on the GNU C library.

Other Comments:
I entered this project as "salvage" earlier today, but hit the back button at
one point in the process, causing a bogus "salvage" project to be created.  I
would rather this project be called "salvage" than "salvager", but it doesn't
make a big difference.

The program as it stands now works:  I wrote it for a particular piece of data
recovery, and it has done better than a simplistic "dd" approach did.  It is
not, however, friendly or flexible by any stretch of the imagination.  I plan
to work on that next.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/