Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Yaroslav Klyukin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 04:36:12 -0400

Rudy Gevaert wrote:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:52:20PM -0400, Yaroslav Klyukin wrote:

I just re-read the FAQ, but still did not get an answer for my question, which is: How do I distinguish between GNU and non-GNU software, just given the software? In other words, do GNU people mark those pieces of software, that the agreed upon to be a GNU software? If yes, where in the code or documentation to find an identification that the software is in fact GNU?

Here is a list of all GNU software:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/

I would be still nicer if GNU software was marked as such in documentation or source.
Don't you think so?
This way everything is easy:
- Count all software packages on CD.
- Get the percentage of GNU software.
- If GNU software constitutes over 50% of the OS, then it has all rights to be mentioned in the name of the OS.

Does it make sense?