Re: [Savannah-help-public] New To GNU/Linux

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] New To GNU/Linux
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:17:54 -0500

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 03:17:09AM -0500, Derrick Robert Watson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to GNU/Linux. I would like to know if there is a way to get all the
> packages in one shot? Without poking each link individually like a command or
> a program to blast download the entire gnu directory? I'm a native Windows
> user that is looking for a suitable alternative to the
> being-robbed-at-gun-point prices that Windows OSs currently have. Getting the
> sources and the Linux kernel I will build my own GNU/Linux.

Hi Derrick,

Savannah, not general questions regarding GNU/Linux.  On a quick
sidenote, I'd strongly recommend using a distribution of GNU/Linux,
and not attempting to build everything yourself.

For a list of free distributions, look here:

  http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

For help regarding the above distributions, look around each
distribution's webpage and search for support, or a support mailing
list.

All the best,

Michael