[sr #110582] Bug comments should display tab characters conventionally

From: Ineiev
Subject: [sr #110582] Bug comments should display tab characters conventionally
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 07:10:00 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #6 comment #6:]

> Links, lists, and the like aren't relevant to verbatim blocks,

No, and I even tend to agree that the user may expect that browser built-in
copying would be more likely to work with verbatim blocks; however, the
browser will copy anything, verbatim blocks are just ordinary HTML for
browsers, and I suspect that the white space will transform in
renderer-specific way when being copied.

> While the label "Quote" makes the purpose of the button a little unclear to
the uninitiated...  I'd be very surprised if any savannah users regularly hit
Quote, edit out all the >'s, then select the text they want, rather than just
highlighting it directly from the displayed comment.

I don't think any users regularly want to extract an exact copy from tracker
comments; we don't support that.

> I'm not sure it's clearly the worse of the two systems demonstrated in
comment #0: in neither case are the g's vertically aligned, so visually the
two systems are just wrong in different ways.

Agreed, both are wrong; but what really matters is that nobody has come up
with a clear way to improve that.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110582>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/