Re: Question about NonGNU Savannah Downloads Server

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Question about NonGNU Savannah Downloads Server
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:13:12 -0600

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> From the README:
>
>   This is not the real audio-video upload directory.
>   Use /srv/audio-video/ instead, which is what gets published at
> http://audio-video.gnu.org/
>
> In other words, it is for videos related to the GNU project.

The same VM is used for both download.savannah.gnu.org and
audio-video.gnu.org and serves both purposes.  Meaning that all of the
files on one are visible on the other.

As a member using the member access sftp you can see both sets of
files.  There is no problem with that as all of the files on both
views of the systems are all public anyway.  You can list the videos
from audio-video through download but you can also download all of
those same video files through https://audio-video.gnu.org/ too.
However you can only upload to directories for which you have
permission, your project directories.

I don't know why those two systems are convergent.  Since they are
logically unrelated.  Predates my involvement.  But I assume at one
time it was simply where disk space existed to hold the files and so
it was done.  In the years since I have re-organized things so that
the files are now on separate partitions with the aim that they can be
split off onto a separate system at some point.  There are advantages
to being able to do that and it will probably happen, eventually.

Bob