[Savannah-register-public] [task #10237] Submission of MUNGE Uid 'N' Gid

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10237] Submission of MUNGE Uid 'N' Gid Emporium
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:25:19 +0000

Hi Chris -- it's debatable how copyright applies in such cases, but there's
no harm in making the situation clear.  So I suggest
simply putting a statement in the appropriate README saying "files x, y, z,
are in the public domain; originally written by ...".  (Or whatever such
text/license you prefer.)  That eliminates any question while not adding to
the burden of those short files.

The safe/conventional interpretation I have seen is that it is the individual
file which is a "work" for copyright purposes.  After all, it's certainly
possible to make a tarball of many disparate works, which amounts to mere
aggregation and the license of one file in the tarball would not impact the
license of another.  And files are often copied between projects, so leaving
it up to the overall project license can lead to inconsistencies.

At any rate, thanks for being responsive on these issues, despite
everything.

Best,
Karl