[Savannah-register-public] [task #10359] Submission of Dina Project

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10359] Submission of Dina Project
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 15:51:24 +0000

Follow-up Comment #11, task #10359 (project administration):

Hi Sameer,

I would like you to not only comply with the letter of the requirements, but
to understand the spirit of it. We want to be sure that Savannah users can
enjoy their free software without any worries of its legality or its
provenance, if possible, and so we admins and developers have to perform a bit
of due diligence <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_diligence> to make sure
that everything is legal and clear. In practice this means making you as a
developer work a little bit more than other free hosting services, it often
takes longer, but it should provide a better experience to our users and
developers.

With regards to mptt, could you provide the original LICENSE
<http://code.google.com/p/django-mptt/source/browse/trunk/LICENSE> file? From
the linked file you can see that a requirement to borrow mptt (or substantial
portions of it) is to include the LICENSE file. This small oversight might put
all users and developers (including you) and maybe even Savannah in the wrong
end of a technical (but clearly unwilling) copyright infringement.

So it is with any other imported libraries: it is important to know the
license and copyright holder to avoid any stupid disputes further down the
road, something which might be very damaging to the project. So I will have to
do an in-depth review of the code before I approve it.

I am not sure about including $AUTHOR$ and $YEAR$ only in releases, since
anyone can checkout a copy at any time. I have to request the wisdom of other
Savannah admins about it.

Sorry for the rant, and let me know when the code is ready for review!