Re: [Savannah-users] Savannah mailing-lists and GDPR

From: Uwe Scholz
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:27:01 +0200

Am Sun, 22 Apr 2018 15:02:00 -0600 schrieb Bob Proulx:

> Uwe Scholz wrote:
> > First, let me emphasize that I am not a lawyer and I am not sure if
> > the Savannah organization falls under the GDPR regulations. But as
> > the servers store also data of European citizens, I am relatively
> > sure that this _is_ the case. Other thoughts are welcome. See below
> > for my other comments.
>
> I am not a lawyer either.  But I don't see how your questions about
> the mailing lists can apply to Savannah.  Mainly because the mailing
> lists are quite separate from Savannah.  The mailing lists are not
> operated on the Savannah servers.  Savannah is really only
> peripherally involved with mailing lists at all.  One can from the
> Savannah web administration panel for your project cause a mailing
> list on the mailing list servers to be created for your project.
> That's it.  And of course the Savannah project itself uses mailing
> lists itself for its own project discussion.  Like this one.
>
> If you have problems subscribing or unsubscribing then the volunteer
> mailing list admins can help you with those problems.  But if you have
> questions of policy then you should address those questions to the FSF
> directly.  They are the ones that set policy.

Thanks allot for clarifying this!

> But from a practical standpoint I suggest that trying to suppress
> information always calls attention to it creating the opposite effect
> from the one you want.  This is known as The Streisand Effect.  You
> can read about the phenomenon here.
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I know this effect already :)

All I wanted to say is not that I or whoever might really want to let
his email be removed from the mailing-list archive. Rather there might
come a person in the future seeking for a possibility how to get money
out of companies or organizations who are not compliant with the new EU
regularities. This is a slight but important difference. Therefore a
public mailing list should make the point very clear that the email
address will be publicly(!) stored and that users should be aware of
that. But this is of course just my own opinion.

Currently, nearly all global IT companies put a lot of effort to be
compliant to those new rules (I am also working for one of them) and I
am just curious if Savannah (or the FSF) have some plans on that, too.

Best
Uwe