solved! (was: Re: how to detach multi-display session from one single di

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: solved! (was: Re: how to detach multi-display session from one single display (emacsclient question))
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:59:41 +0100

Hi screen-users,
* Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> [14. Mär. 2006]:
> Hi screen-users,
>
> via   screen -x   it is possible to attach several times from
> various displays to one single screen session.  But how do I end
> one such connection to this screen session without detatching the
> others (via command line)?
>
> I use this simple line of bash script:
>
> { emacsclient --alternate-editor "emacs -nw"  "$@" ; screen -d emacsserver ;
> } &>/dev/null  & screen -x emacsserver
>
> to attach to an emacsserver running in a screen session.  If I use
> this script several times from several windows for different files I
> will see the last opened file in all windows (that's not optimal
> but o.k.).  When done with editing one file (via ^x# aka
> server-edit) all windows show the previous file. But then my
> script detaches this screen session running emacsserver via
> screen -d   and this screen session is detached for all windows
> instead only for the one I'm currently working in.
>
> The crucial part is "screen -d emacsserver".  Any ideas what to
> do instead?

Torsten Scheck had the correct idea:  Use
"screen -x emacsserver -X detach" instead of "screen -d emacsserver".

Now there is another but minor problem: Most times I use this
script from within a screen window.  In this cases of a "screen in
screen" situation the outer screen grabs at all screen keyboard
commands.  How do I send keyboard commands to the inner screen
session (e.g. ^aF)?

Script attached.  Warning: The emacs screen session uses "°" as
command character since ^a is not usable when working with
emacs.

Ciao, Gregor