Re: how to start screen from .bashrc

From: Peder Stray
Subject: Re: how to start screen from .bashrc
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:24:48 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Henry Nelson wrote:

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 06:44:26PM +0200, Peder Stray wrote:
Remember that screen adds $STY to your environment, so you can test for
it:

if [ -z "$STY" ]; then
    exec screen -dR
fi

which would exec screen, attach to an already running or start a new
screen if you aren't already in one.  No problem there...

Fantastic!  I've been looking for such a test.

You wouldn't by chance have a translation for that into "csh",
would you?  Also, with "csh", am I right to assume the test
would go in ".login"?

Yeah, I guess .login would be the correct place for csh. Long time since I used csh (or tcsh), but I guess something like:

if ("$STY" != "") then
   exec screen -dR
endif

--