Re: screen -X

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: screen -X
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:06:24 +1100

"Jim Lloyd" <address@hidden>
writes:

> I'd like to so something that I bet savvy unix admins do all the time
> with screen, but I haven't figured out the trick.
>
> I have a shell script that lets me do this:
>
> $ each <command>
>
> The script expands this running the same command on several machines:
>
> $ ssh host1 <command>
> $ ssh host2 <command>
> $ ssh hostN <command>

In general, you are *much* better off dealing with clusters -- and even
heterogeneous networks -- using a declarative tool like puppet or
cfengine.  It costs some manhours to set up, but IME you end up with a
more robust setup than just blindly running the same command on a dozen
or a hundred hosts at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_(tool)