String escape for total number of windows?

From: John Magolske
Subject: String escape for total number of windows?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:25:11 -0800

Is there a string escape sequence that will display the total number
of windows (just a single number, not all window numbers and names)?

For example, if I were in the 7th window and 23 windows were open,
I'd like to see something like

  7 / 23 : vim ~/.mutt/temp/mutt-1000-25786-33

by setting hardstatus to something like

  hardstatus alwayslastline "%n / %x : %t"

Of course %x is not an escape for anything, I'm just using it here as
a placeholder...there doesn't seem to be an escape for total number of
windows. Might it be possible to achieve this by truncating the output
of %w or some such thing?

TIA for any help,

John

--