Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console

From: David Woodfall
Subject: Re: Cursor problems with some applications in linux console
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 01:01:21 +0100

On Tuesday 16 October 2018 01:53,
Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:
> On 16.10.18,00:40, David Woodfall wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2018 21:29,
> > Dave Woodfall <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:
> > > On Monday 15 October 2018 21:26,
> > > Jostein Berntsen <address@hidden> put forth the proposition:

> > > Thanks for the links.
> > >
> > > TERM is set to 'linux', or 'screen.linux' in screen when I mostly use
> > > those apps.
> > >
> > > tput cnorm sets the cursor back to the default, so maybe cnorm is
> > > being set. According to infocmp for linux, cnorm is set to \E?25h.
> > > Screen has an extra \E[34h at the start. I'll experiment a bit and
> > > see what happens if I change it.
> >
> > I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but setting termcapinfo seems to
> > have no effect. I tried to get all possible combinations with:
> >
> > termcapinfo linux cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> > termcapinfo screen cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> > termcapinfo screen.linux cnorm=\E[?34h\E[?3c
> >
> > But in screen infocmp | grep cnorm still shows:
> >
> > cnorm=\E[34h\E[?25h
> >
> > Isn't it meant to show the changed setting? I tried running mutt and
> > finch, but they still reset the cursor.
> >
> > The first line of infocmp:
> >
> > #       Reconstructed via infocmp from file:
> > #       /usr/share/terminfo/s/screen.linux
> > screen.linux|screen in linux console,
> >
> > TERM is screen.linux
> > Screen version 4.06.02
> >

> Will setting this in ~/.bashrc:
>
> if [ "$TERM" != "xterm-256color" ]; then
>       export TERM=xterm-256color
> fi
>
> and this in ~/.screenrc work better?
>
> setenv TERM screen
>

> Jostein

It's not a good idea to globally mess with $TERM to be honest. What I
do at the moment with mutt and vim is set it as I start them:

TERM=ansi vim
TERM=xterm-color mutt

That way only those applications get the wrong TERM setting and
nothing else.

That works for vim and mutt but has no effect on the other
applications that I mentioned.

--
Dave

    if (argc > 1 && strcmp(argv[1], "-advice") == 0) {
  printf("Don't Panic!\n");
  exit(42);
    }
  -- Arnold Robbins in the LJ of February '95, describing RCS