sks-devel

[Sks-devel] serving a robots.txt

From: poweroftwo
Subject: [Sks-devel] serving a robots.txt
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:44:05 +0200

Hi!

E-Mail harvesting on PGP key servers can be done with such commands:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Akeyserver.fabbione.net+pks+uid

I already receive spam because i decided to upload my public key years ago. I
know its the source, because the same spam message arrived on all accounts
belonging to one key withing seconds.

Those results could be prevented if server administrators would place such a
robots.txt file in their webroot:
Disallow: /pks/

WOW, i found a PGP Server that already has the file:
http://keyserver.hadiko.de/robots.txt

It would be great if every PGP Server would do this, but how many of them are
out there? Is it possible to contact every administrator?

The homepage of a common PGP Server software is: http://minskyprimus.net/sks/.
They have a pool status page at: http://sks-keyservers.net/status/ . About
30-60 Servers here. Asking google, there might be 99 servers out there:
http://www.google.com/search?q="%2Fpks%2Flookup%3Fop%3Dstats"; .
Hmm, there are hundreds. But not thousands.
Perhaps it is still worth a try, since keys can never ever be deleted. Once
your key leaked out to a public key server its spreaded all over the world.
Thanks google, its ready to get spammed then.

Could sks suggest setting up such a robots.txt file? What do you think?

kind regards, poweroftwo