sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] New wiki page: Peering

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] New wiki page: Peering
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:25:20 -0800

On 2009-11-28 at 09:48 +0000, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:
> You could explicit that you mean something like "make && make install"
> or "aptitude install sks" as peering itself might be considered part of
> the installation process.

I opted for "You are assumed to have installed the SKS program and to
[...]".

>     SKS basedir
>
> Unlike many daemons SKS makes use of its current working directory as
> its basedir.  It should be mentionned.

Done.

> Phil Pennock:
> > I'm not sure that membership_reload_interval is necessary any more,
> > after Kim's improvements in this area.  I put it in anyway, to be safe,
> > but would be happy to remove it again; Kim?
>
> I am quite confident that this setting is not used anymore (and that the
> code could do with a little cleanup regarding this).  So yes remove it.

Done.

>     The server is in The Netherlands.
>
> Use a non existant country in the sample. The Neverland is nice.

I'm based in the USA and wary of trademarks; I strongly suspect that the
estate of a recently deceased pop star has a trademark on that.  I went
for "Foobarlandy (EU)".

>     Add the line to your config
>
> Explicit mention of "membership file" would be better than config.

Done.

> Also a couple of words mentionning that SKS logs to db.log, recon.log
> and generally *.log will help the new user.

Done.

> The "-disable_mailsync" option should be explained as it is a loose end
> in SKS.

Done.

> in SKS.  Given the state of the PKS network it is perfectly acceptable
> to use it.  At any rate if the mailsync file is empty it can be used to
> keep the db process from spitting false alarms in the logs.  Mmm,
> looking back at it these alarms are not completely false: it seems there
> is a leak in the tqueue DB when you have no mailsync, I'll have to file
> an issue about that.

Looking forward to the patch.  :)

> Kim Minh.
>
> P.S.: browsing http://code.google.com/p/sks-keyserver/source/browse/