sks-devel

Re: number of keys reported by hockeypuck

From: Andrew Gallagher
Subject: Re: number of keys reported by hockeypuck
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:44:17 +0100

On 14/09/2021 16:51, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

3. I see a big differentce with my peers. As an example, I'm peering
    with pgpkeys.eu, and it reports:

    Day            New   Updated
    2021-09-08      1   46248
    2021-09-09      2   40641
    2021-09-10      6   36949
    2021-09-11      6   26264
    2021-09-12      6   42388
    2021-09-13      37  41187
    2021-09-14      3   23073

    It seems I'm missing all those updates (tens of thousands daily).

You don't want those updates, they're not real. See earlier thread:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2021-05/msg00003.html

The number of real new keys entering the synchronising network has
reduced to one every few days now that the pool DNS entries no longer
resolve. Some hockeypuck servers report a large number of updated keys
every day, but this is almost exclusively churn - I suspect it is due to
inconsistent ordering of packets between different keyservers.

Quite possible. But the difference is huge. And the odds of it
reaching _zero_ for a full week smells very fishy :-(

OK, you should be getting *some* new keys, even discounting the thousands of false-positive updated keys. Let me look into it.