social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] PHP-Based GNU Social structure
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 05:28:07 +0200 (CEST)

Henry Litwhiler typeth:
| On 3/28/10 3:21 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
| > On 03/28/2010 02:57 PM, Henry Litwhiler wrote:
| >
| > 1. They send messages to each other -- via wall posts, inbox messages, chat.

and comments on things that have been published, possibly at a speed
and real-time expectancy comparable to a chatroom.

| > 2. They publish things -- status updates, photos, notes, join groups.
| >
| > For the messaging, something like XMPP could be used.

| Developing (or incorporating) good, solid, decentralized messaging
| protocol will have to be a major focus of the GNU Social project.

Yep.

| > For the publishing, something like RSS or Atom could be used.
| >
| I hadn't thought of that. This, of course, goes back to the "pull"
| rather than "push" methodology.

And that's not state of the art. RSS is already considered history
since Twitter has established itself as the big aggregator: Instead
of polling a hundred feeds you just poll Twitter and it lets you
have hundred or more feeds, even if they only publish once a year.

Of course Twitter is not the model - it is completely centralized.
The decentralized answer to this is pushing events to the intended
recipients as they happen. You can use HTTP POST madness for this,
as Blaine Cook considers feasible, or use or design a protocol
actually optimized to do this job. There is a reason why chatrooms
are usually not implemented by HTTP POST orgies.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____