Setting pitch

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Setting pitch
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:19:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I am now interested in setting the pitch of a voice. Indeed it
only works in english.

I exclusively use festival and I suspect that the problem
doesn't come neither from speechd-el nor from speech-dispatcher
but in the interaction between festival-freebsoft-utils en
festival. Indeed I think I identified the scm method where
things are done :

(define (prosody-set-pitch value)
  (let ((int-method (Param.get 'Int_Target_Method)))
    (cond
     ((prosody-general-method? int-method)
      (if (avalue-get 'f0_mean int_general_params)
          (set! int_general_params
                (assoc-set int_general_params 'f0_mean (list value)))
          (prosody-set-general-pitch value)))
     ((eq? int-method Int_Targets_LR)
      (set! int_lr_params
            (assoc-set int_lr_params 'target_f0_mean (list value))))
     ((eq? int-method Int_Targets_Simple)
      (set! int_simple_params
            (assoc-set int_simple_params 'f0_mean (list value)))))))

Returned values for (Param.get 'Int_Target_Method ) are :

- en Int_Targets_LR
- fr "Simple"
- it "Simple"
- de "Int_Targets_General

(I got these value by simply launching festival in a console
then (require 'speech-dispatcher) and then
(speechd-set-language "xy") and finally (Param.get
'Int_Target_Method))

Seeing that only the returned value for english matches
something in the test in method above. Not very surprising for
French since it clearly might be a lack in franfest but I am a
little more surprised that it doesn't work for German or
Italian.

Configuration is :

festival-freebsoft-utils (cvs version).
festival 1.96-beta
ims german festival (very old version).
Italian FESTIVAL Modules(IFM)

Is there something to implement in the french/german/italian
modules or simply in the prosody-set-pitch method above ?

Regards

Pierre