State of the 0.7.1 release

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: State of the 0.7.1 release
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:02:01 -0400

Hi,

not a code review, but here are my general thoughts.
While I don't have a specific issue with this being a hash table I don't believe
there is a good reason for it.   The array provides us what is escentially a
very good hash table in this case.  What I mean is this,we don't have to worry
about the possibility of collissions, and mapping values to keys is easy fast
and direct.  Also I doubt that this will efect memory ussage, if we are using
the array correctly we should have a fair higher density than the hash table
will.  However I'm fairly sure we aren't effeciently making use of the array
what I mean is I believe we leak a good number of file descriptors when we
initialize modules.  The effect of leaking these file descriptors is that there
is a large section of the array that won't be used.  SO I think the real thing
to work on here is to make sure we don't leak file descriptors, but since we
have the hash table, and it should have the same rough effect in the short term
we might as well stick with it.

Longer term I think we shouldn't have this global data structure, each client
should be handled by its own thread, which has private data for that client.

Trev