stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] profiling StumpWM

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] profiling StumpWM
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 18:49:21 -0700

If it is a paging issue then the problem is that parts of sbcl are
being paged in when you hit a key. You can't really plan ahead for a
sudden key press except to say "never page sbcl to disk" which, if
such a way exists, is a really ugly hack. It should be easy enough to
verify: disable swap and see if it gets snappy. Aren't there OS tools
to tell you when a process gets swapped around? Another way to see
where the time is being spent is to write a program that uses the
XTest extension to generate key events. Print the system time at that
point from the test program and from stumpwm as soon as it gets an
event and after it's handled.

-Shawn