stumpwm-devel

[STUMP] Prefix-Lock

From: J. David Smith
Subject: [STUMP] Prefix-Lock
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:53:58 -0400

Hey all:

I was demo'ing Stump to a coworker this afternoon and in order to cycle through windows it was constantly PREFIX n, PREFIX n, PREFIX n. Normally not a big deal, but with 6-7 windows and without having set binds for half of them it gets a bit annoying; he picked it up and commented on it.

So, here's my idea: Have a binding like PREFIX C-l that locks the PREFIX key on. Each time a keychord completes, it'd revert to having just PREFIX entered.

For example:

PREFIX C-l
ESC

instead of the former. I have a couple of questions about this.

1) is this a good idea? Any major pitfalls that I'm not seeing?
2) if it's a reasonable idea, is there already a built-in way to do this?
3) if it doesn't already exist, what's a good way to go about it?

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it on submaps as well (eg s-w s-m is my prefix for MPD control).

 -- David