Re: Call for Ideas - GNU in Google Summer of Code 2011

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Call for Ideas - GNU in Google Summer of Code 2011
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:10:50 +0100

Hallo!

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:13:53 +0100, <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 04:01:34AM -0300, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
> wrote:
> > On 06-03-2011 04:24, address@hidden wrote:
> > > BTW, for the organisation application, I'm sure most answers can be
> > > reused from previous years?
> >
> > We've failed to locate the answers from previous years, so I'm
> > rewriting them[0]. Any help is appreciated.

Huh -- Karl can you help?  Organization application deadline is *TODAY*.
Rodrigo, even if it's not polished, i think you should hand in
*something* today.

> Well, I'd love to help; but I've never done this for an umbrella
> organisation -- and quite frankly, I have no idea what to fill in
> there... Questions like how to deal with disappearing students or
> mentors; how to make sure the students continue working on the project
> etc. are rather a matter of the individual suborganisations it seems to
> me...

Yes, but I'm quite sure Google is well aware of this.  It's only some
standard forms to fill out, to give applying organizations guidelines of
the information they need to provide.  We should fill in *something*
sensible, but I don't think that we, the GNU Project, really need to
spend too much time on this (and neither do I think Google is interested
in spending too much time reading all this).  I'd assume that the GNU
Project has proven its ability for being a capable mentoring
organization.  So I would assume; I could be wrong, though.

Perhaps some of the text of our some-years-old GNU Hurd Organization
Application
(<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/community/gsoc/organization_application.html>)
can be re-used in case Karl (or someone else, of course) isn't able to
locate the former GNU ones?

Grüße,
 Thomas