Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012

From: Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
Subject: Re: GNU participation in GSoC 2012
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 15:42:56 -0300

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 11:30 +0100, Bastien wrote:
> If Rodrigo is still on this list, maybe he can share his
> experience?

I would like to help with my last year's experience. I could be a
co-admin.

I just realized we're kinda late on schedule. We need to setup the ideas
page before March 9th.

Further ideas can be added after that, but we'd better have a good ideas
page for the organization evaluation process. Ideas from 2011 can be
recycled, since only a few of them ended up being funded.

I setup this page on Libreplanet based on last year's:

http://libreplanet.org/wiki/GNU_application_for_Summer_of_Code_2012

Please help spread the word. I'll look for a "call for ideas" message I
sent to gnu-prog last year, but I'd appreciate if someone could come up
with a better one =]

>What are the main tasks for this role?

0. For now: keep track of project proposals, approve mentors (keep an
eye on fake mentors trying to get t-shirts)
1. Then: discuss and implement criteria to choose which projects get the
scholarships (we always have less slots than good ideas). Last year's
criteria (FSF high-priority projects first, then newcomers) seem OK, but
there were complaints.
2. Make sure mentors don't freak out on the gsoc-mentors list.
3. Keep an eye on all projects, like are student and mentor
communicating well? How's the project going?
4. Step in when necessary, like mentor vanishes or mentor and student
don't get along well.
5. Remember mentors and students that a deadline is a deadline, and that
there's no second chance. People always forget about deadlines.

Lessons learned from last year:

0. Apart from good students, a successful project also depends on good
mentors and good community.
1. Keep an eye on what our mentors are saying on gsoc mailing lists. A
mad mentor's attitude may impact the whole organization negatively.
2. We need more integration.

--
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva

http://garoa.net.br