swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Infrastructure for GSoC projects
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:29:21 -0700

MGD> Pavel Vinogradov wrote:
>> From my previous experience for fruitful we need three pieces: VCS
>> repository for code, maillist for discuss and IM meetings.

MGD> We've been using Savannah, the GNU project's sourceforge like
MGD> thing.  It's kind of clunky, as it only provides CVS.
MGD> code.google.com would be an obvious choice.  I've got a SVN
MGD> server at snoutfarm.com too.

>> Some additional tools is: wiki and bug/feature tracking.

MGD> As remarked by Steve, I think just using some part of swarm.org
MGD> makes sense for the Wiki.  Unless there are particular features
MGD> that are absent that you'd like to see.  I can set up Bugzilla or
MGD> Trac or whatever at snoutfarm.com.  Actually we never even used
MGD> bug tracking software even for Swarm itself.  The mailing list
MGD> archives of address@hidden are probably about the closest
MGD> thing to issue tracking.

I did enable the Savannah bug tracker, when setting up the project
back in around 2002-2003:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=swarm

and I did use it to track some bugs and was originally encourage folks
on the support list to file there, but I think it wasn't really used
much by the rest of the developers.  I think we could revive it's use.
It's better than having to keep track on bugs via the mailing list.

Alternatively migrating everything to a new service would be OK too,
but we should migrate everything lock stock & barrel rather than
having bits scatttered over several different services (swarm.org,
savannah.nongnu.org, code.google.com)...

>> Some of this things is project related, therefore i will describe
>> my project wishes and ideas (but this ideas would useful for
>> Haruki)
>>
>> 1. VCS - i want to have there some distributed VCS like mercurial
>> or git. In previous year we use svn and i often have situation when
>> i can work on project but don't have Internet connection.
>>
MGD> Ok.  Maybe the SDG should just once and for all move to mercurial
MGD> or git?  Thoughts anyone?  I mostly have been using SVN, but I'm
MGD> almost always online.

If we switch to a different version system from CVS, I would prefer
SVN.  It's generally the most similar to CVS and is probably the most
widely used system (other than CVS) out there, so there's good deal of
familiarity.  These distributed version control systems are all very
nice, but I don't think we really need those extra features.

Also if we did convert to SVN, we want to do a proper import to
maintain the complete history, rather than just checking in the
current snapshot to an empty repository.

>> 2. Mail List: As i know in previous year this maillist was used for
>> GSoC discussion and reports. I have only one question - why list
>> archive not available to public?
>>
MGD> I think it was a default of Savannah.  I've changed it.  It's now
MGD> a public list with a public archive.

I did originally make it private (the default was actually public)
because there might have been more sensitive information about other
SDG servers, passwords, logins etc.  At this point, since the list
isn't really serving that purpose any more, we probably don't need
that, so I'm happy to make the archives public, although I wouldn't
retroactively make the old archives (e.g. pre-2007) public as there
may be private info there.

The directors list can continue to be the private forum for such
matters.

Alex