Re: hey hey, solaris, we're in business

From: Matthew Hare
Subject: Re: hey hey, solaris, we're in business
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:57:09 +0100

Manor,
Fresh from emerging from the depths of library linkages, I bring good news!
IT"S FIXED! yeh!

here's the tale .....

we hand installed the shared library of BLT2.1 (libBLT.so.2) into our
usr/local/blt/lib directory, and thinking that the heatbugs app would go first
for the .so file before the static version, didn't bother removing the old
libBLT.a version (horrible, horrible sin) , so for a while the problem was that
whilst swarm compiled using the shared version, heatbugs app used the old .a
version (n.b. taking the .a file out meant that swarm compiled but heatbugs
didn't) ( also, for some reason the .so.2 was unrecognised by heatbugs
compilation). Hence everything managed to compile but the run failed with that
"drag&drop not recognised" seg fault. We then substituted the new .a lib and
everything went peachy and well.  But feeling that using the .a version was
less efficient than using the .so (?) we found that by creating a link to get
to libBLT.so.2 via the link file libBLT.so and changing our LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
begin with the usr/local/blt/lib directory, everything worked with the s!
 hared library just fine! woo, out

of breath now ... will this help gerard?

by the way I also put in your message probe fix too....

I am so pleased!
And I'm glad it's not a terminal swarm/solaris bug !
it was me guv ... banged to rights...

yours very relieved
Matt