Not boot after installing gcc 2.7.2

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Not boot after installing gcc 2.7.2
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:01:21 -0700

I hope there is an easy answer to this little problem:

I just installed yesterday the new versions of gcc and gdb on a 486 with
Slackware 3.0. (No, Manor, you were not the last or only person to use
gcc 2.7.0 -- that is the version still supplied with the latest release
of Slackware from InfoMagic. RedHat 3.03 has 2.7.2, though.)

After this, I installed tcl,tk, blt, and Swarm - and all compiled ok.

The problem: this morning, Linux cannot boot. The boot sequence goes as
follows:

        Linux version 1.2.13 (address@hidden) (gcc version 2.7.0) ...
        Partition check:
        hda ...
        hdb ...
        sda ...
        VFS: Mounted root (ext2) readonly
        init: can't resolve symbol '__ctype_b'

Obviously, there's something more I should have done before shutting down
yesterday. But what?

If anyone has encountered this problem, or otherwise has a clue, I'd be
grateful ...

Sven Thommesen
UCLA Center for Computable Economics
and School of Human Sciences, Auburn University