probe problem (cont)

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: probe problem (cont)
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:13:36 -0400 (EDT)

A little more info about the makeProbe problem we are having:

Recall for heatbugs we reported the problem that the
right button doesn't bring up probes, it brings up the
error about a bad coordinate.

I put up a little agent model that just moves
agents around a Grid2d at random.  I installed a
makeProbeAtX:Y: as per heatbugs for right button (and I tried left).
What is somewhat different from heatbugs (as far as I can tell)
is that when pressing the RB I get different behavior
at different times:
- just a beep, no message, no probe
- a bad coordinates msg as with heatbugs (its the Y coord that's bad)
- a probe comes up!
  Strangely, when I can do this, it seems to be
  for an agent in a column (x coord) by itself, and
  it also turns out I can bring up a probe for that lone
  agent in the column by pressing anywhere in the column!

I tried heatbugs with a small world and number of agents
(so I could easily click on them all) and I still mostly get
the bad coordinates message, *but* sometimes I do get
just a beep, no message.   I have never gotten a probe to come up.

Maybe these clues will help....
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html