Re: Sven's Linux installation guide???

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Sven's Linux installation guide???
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:01:05 -0500 ()

I've got it in my mailbox still. What a great note!

I'm going to forward it to you under a separate message.  If it is screwed
up somehow, you can find it in the swarm mailing list archives. April 12,
1997, By Sven T.  The title is "Re: Long suffering of Redhat 4.1 user with
..."  This was the culmination of a lot of nose picking I did trying to
learn about linux.  I believe you can follow that thread a bit in the
archive. As I recall, I did not have to go completely down to basics
because my redhat 4.1 had working versions of tcl7.6 tk4.2, but Sven had
to rip out old ones and compile these from scratch.  But I did have to
install blt 2.1, after patching. (Warning:  I've since discovered why the
diff procedure did not patch for me--the version of the patch I got was
saved on an MS machine that included extra carriage returns.  SO I had to
do it by hand!  Hopefully, you won't).

Sven's notes will clear up lots of frustrating points. IN particular, it
is astonishing but true that the libtclobjc readme leaves out the make
install command!  And it is astonishing, but true, that the demo programs
with that library do not work.

Good luck.  You can find your wail to the mail archive through the swarm
homepage, under a link "user community" as I recall.

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916