Re: No bug in autoDrop

From: rmb
Subject: Re: No bug in autoDrop
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:39:50 -0600

> We finally managed to solve the problem of non-dropped activities while
> autoDrop is set (which caused memory leak) in our dynamically scheduled model.
>
> What happend was that  actions that were occuring at the same timestep
> were treated as an Actiongroup. Each timestep, only the actionGroup as a
> whole was dropped but not every single action it contained. So we changed the
> type of the actionGroup used in the schedule by using SetConcurrentGroupType,
> so that actions were automatically dropped.
> And indeed the memory leak was gone.

Did you set it to your own concurrent group type, rather than using the
default group?  If so, then it sounds like the default group has a bug
since it should be dropping actions if the schedule in which it's contained
has AutoDrop set.

> Afterwards, I discovered in swarm-support that Doug has met the same
> problem a few months ago (subject: Concurrent Schedule). I'm sorry that I
> didn't read
> that mail before and that I didn't make my problem clear enough.

I'll check that in the archive.

> I've three more notes:
> 1. In the documentation, in Schedule.html, an example of concurrentGroup is
> mentioned. There may be a  mistake in the line:
>  [concurrentGroupType setDefaultOrder: Random];
> I think that "Random" should be "Randomized", because that 's how it's
> documented in CompoundAction.html and ActionPlan.html (and Random is not
> recognized as a valid identifier).

Yes, it should be Randomized.  But the option currently doesn't do anything
when set.  Automatically randomizing the order is an important goal for
future releases.

> 2. Another thing from the example that didn't work was:
>  concurrentGroupType = [ActionGroup customizeBegin: [self getZone]];
> Where "ActionGroup" should be "ConcurrentGroup" to let it work.
> Does anybody know why?

It should work.  I'll try it myself.

> 3. Furthermore we still wonder why
>  printf("autoDrop = %d\n", [modelSchedule getAutoDrop]);
> returns 0 if you have set it to 1.

This sounds like a bug.  I'll check that, too.

--Roger