Re: Problems after upgrading to Redhat 4.2. Any ideas?

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Problems after upgrading to Redhat 4.2. Any ideas?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:52:22 -0500

At 09:40 AM 7/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I upgraded to redhat 4.2 from redhat 4.1.
>
>The first problem was in the dynamic library usage.  Error was "cant find
>libBLT.so.   Fortunately, Sven taught me enough to know to
>look in /etc/ld.so.conf, and add directories, and then run ldconfig again.
>It seems like bad news that the redhat upgrade wiped out the old ld
>settings, but I still don't have a good idea of all that was changed.
>
>Now heatbugs runs again, BUT it is weird.  The contol panels show up when
>I start the program, but there is no 2D graphs.  When I hit "GO", there is
>a two second lag before the display of the 2D graph of bugs shows up. It
>seems like the simulation must have been running during the 2 second lag.
>I have to hit the "STOP" button twice--well, I hit it once, the thing does
>not stop, and I hit it harder--to make it stop.
>
>I don't remember it being that way before upgrading Redhat. I thought the
>graph showed from the very start of the program, didn't it?  Don't you
>folks see a graph before you hit "GO"?  I've got the same strange thing in
>Mousetrap. By the time the graph shows up, almost all traps are sprung.
>
>I'm guessing there is some easy fix for this, such as stand on your head
>when you type ./heatbugs or such.

Paul,

I haven't upgraded to 4.2 yet -- it was announced only *days* after I had
acquired and (laboriously) upgraded 4.1 from 3.03 :-(

Sounds to me like 4.2 may have 'upgraded' tcl, tk, and/or blt -- most
likely, it mucked up blt. [ What versions of tcl and tk did you get? ] My
suggestion is to re-compile blt2.1, taking care that the references to tcl
and tk in the config files are correct.

Good luck,
Sven