Re: Heatbug questions...

From: bleydorf
Subject: Re: Heatbug questions...
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:13:23 -0400

Ken Cline wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > Now the questions:
> > I scouring the code, trying to get a better understanding of Swarm
> > styles and concepts, Is there a definite style that "we" follow?  Like
> > Types = ExampleObjectType, Object = exampleObject, Methods DoSomething
> > (with a verb), etc???
>
> Hmmm...  I think there are several levels of "style".  At
> the top is Object-Oriented programming style.  Then there's
> Objective-C style (for example see http://www.next.com/Pubs/
> Documents/OPENSTEP/ObjectiveC/oop.htm#893).
>
> And yes there's a "Swarm style" as well.  For instance, the
> CREATING vs. USING phases of a class. See http://www.santafe.edu/
> projects/swarm/swarmdocs/swarmObjC.html
>
> I would say a lot of the "style" comes from how decide to
> build your model, eg which agents you want and how they will
> be grouped.  That being said, there are more or less
> standard attributes that agents and swarms have.

Ken,
Actually after checking those sites, I see that you didn't quite get it
right with the style question.

I was refering more to how Objects/methods/generic methods/generic
objects are coded. That is, someone not understanding the way the code
works could look at a given code snipet and say "oh, X is an object, Y
is a method...", just on how they are coded...(ie. createBegin, with a
small "c").  But, what is "create" or "class"?  Are they ObjectiveC
methods?  And whats the difference between "HeatbugModelSwarm" and
"heatbugModelSwarm"...is the first one a type? and the second a
Swarm/Object/Instance?

So, when I asked about programing "style" I was referring more to "How"
one actually "writes" the code, not how one creates object oriented
programs.

For instance, by writing this sentence this way: "The quick brown fox,
George, jump over the fence."  Tells you that "The" is the first word of
the sentence and "George" is a proper name by the initial cap.  If you
told someone that a word beginning with a cap can be either a sentence
beginner or a proper name, then they wouldn't have to be able to read
english to know what those words meant.

One of the first things that we were taught in school, when entering a
new company.  Get their "Programming style sheet", which tells new
programmers how the company writes code peices, so that others looking
at their code can read it.

Thanks,
Brad.