Feedback on Colorized Bug Documents

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Feedback on Colorized Bug Documents
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:28:42 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Brad:
I opened up Xemacs and the obj-c color highlighing from fontlock and the
code that was possted in the archive some time ago.  I spot one very
useful part of your code that Xemacs does not do.  When there is a series
of instructions nested, Xemacs often treats them as if they were all the
same type.

On the minus side, I'm wondering if it is worth quibbling about the way
some terms are classified in your sheets.  For example, in
m_heatBatch.doc, you have different colors assigned to
modelZone
heatbugModelSwarm

The first is red--object--but the second is olive.  For you, olive means
parameters/variables, and I would have said heatbugModelSwarm is an
object, just like modelZone.

The other thing I wonder about is the mixture of Types/Classes.  Looking
the code over, I wonder if you might differentiate the "factory
objects/classes"--the ones that can create objects, from ordinary data
types like int, or id for that matter.  You've got purple assigned to both
id and HeatBatchSwarm, where I don't think of them in exactly the same
way.  id has no methods, it does not create objects, but HeatBatchSwarm
can.

But then I'm puzzled that you have super in black.  Super is the class
that the object being created inherits from. Its not a variable/parameter.

In a phrase like [Zone      create:  [self    getZone]];, you have:
                 type/class  method   para/var  method.
The code for self seems questionable.  self is the object itself, its not
a parameter/variable.  I suppose  [self getZone] taken together is  a
parameter to the create: , which in turn is a message.

Looking at your coding, I'm wondering if the emacs buffs in our midst
could output a color coded ANSI file.  I was at a talk last week where
they explained some about ANSI color coding and if there were an easy way
to output ANSI, that would save you a lot of time.  As usual, I have no
idea how much crap you'd have to put up with to make it work. Using emacs
occasionally, I bet it might be a lot, since everything else is a hassle
too.

Good luck.  My kids got me up way too early, I'm going to bed.  Blame all
mistakes and typos on sleep deprivation.

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> All,
> I plan to upload the heatbug code "colorized" with Word 7.0.  Glen
> complained that I should try to do it in .ps files.  But, unfortunately,
> I dont have that ability at my home PC.  I have found a freeware Word
> Viewer which will let you view word docs (but not edit them).  I was
> going to upload it with the colorized docs, but it is 2.1 meg so, I have
> decide to let you (those interested and who need the viewer to view it)
> to download it yourself... the address is:
> http://www.download.com/PC/Result/Download/0,21,0-17118,00.html
> I hope to send the colorized docs at about 6:30pm (eastern time).  I'm
> putting the finishing touches on them now.  And need to add keys to the
> top of each one.  I may or may not be including the heatbugBatch
> programs depending on time constraints.
>
> If any of you can, I'd love to get some feedback on how close I am
> before (Wednesday) 9:30am (Eastern time), as I will be presenting these
> to my clients tommorrow after lunch.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad.

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916