Re: Feedback on Colorized Bug Documents

From: bleydorf
Subject: Re: Feedback on Colorized Bug Documents
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:08:58 -0400

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Dear Brad:
> I opened up Xemacs and the obj-c color highlighing from fontlock and the
> code that was possted in the archive some time ago.  I spot one very
> useful part of your code that Xemacs does not do.  When there is a series
> of instructions nested, Xemacs often treats them as if they were all the
> same type.
>
> On the minus side, I'm wondering if it is worth quibbling about the way
> some terms are classified in your sheets.  For example, in
> m_heatBatch.doc, you have different colors assigned to
> modelZone
> heatbugModelSwarm
>
> The first is red--object--but the second is olive.  For you, olive means
> parameters/variables, and I would have said heatbugModelSwarm is an
> object, just like modelZone.
>
> The other thing I wonder about is the mixture of Types/Classes.  Looking
> the code over, I wonder if you might differentiate the "factory
> objects/classes"--the ones that can create objects, from ordinary data
> types like int, or id for that matter.  You've got purple assigned to both
> id and HeatBatchSwarm, where I don't think of them in exactly the same
> way.  id has no methods, it does not create objects, but HeatBatchSwarm
> can.
>
> But then I'm puzzled that you have super in black.  Super is the class
> that the object being created inherits from. Its not a variable/parameter.
>
> In a phrase like [Zone      create:  [self    getZone]];, you have:
>                  type/class  method   para/var  method.
> The code for self seems questionable.  self is the object itself, its not
> a parameter/variable.  I suppose  [self getZone] taken together is  a
> parameter to the create: , which in turn is a message.

I appreciate your feedback.  As far as the keying I used it was as
follows:

dark yellow was for Swarms:  I wanted to have swarms different than
normal objects to set them apart for teaching to the (even newer)
newbies, I teach later today...

red was for objects: self explanatory.

blue was for methods/"member functions": self explanatory.

green was for varibles/parameters:  It sounds like your conversion
converted yellow objects (swarms) into the same color as green objects.

magenta was for types/Classes:  What I was thinking here was that in
messages there would be a class or type in it and it would be nice to
designate what that was.  If I had to do it over at this point, I would
only have Classes in purple and leave just factory types as black.  I
would probably have HeatValue as purple since it was a defined type.

gray was for comments: self explanatory.

I left all keywords (if then else) and others in black.  I wanted to
emphasize only the OO aspects and Swarmy aspects of the code.  As far as
"self", "super" and "type" I wasn't sure how to classify them.  I got
the feeling that they were sort of "directors" which would point the
message where it should find the correct method to use.  I didnt realize
that they are in fact objects.  It sounds like I colored "self" in that
given instance on accident.

As far as other feedback goes, I would appreciate any feedback to
whether I called something the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Brad.