Re: Basic heatbugs question...

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: Basic heatbugs question...
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

This is an OOP question.

A few of the reasons are:
   ease of debugging
   ease of comprehension
   modularization
   maintainability
   reuseability

You can combine files in C, C++ and Objective-C (not in Java
though); for example look at some of the files in
src/defobj.   However, combining several classes in one file
usually makes it less intuitive where to find things.

I won't go into the nitty-gritty but C compilers use suffix
rules to determine how files are handled, ie what their
role is in the compilation process.

Of course there are always a few odds-and-ends that might
"belong" in several particular places or files.

The rule: make things intuitive!  (You'll thank yourself
later!)

Ken.

PS: BTW, in Java, there is no separate header file (*.h).

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> This question has been brewing in my subconscience for a while...
> Why is heatbugs divided up into the various different programs?
> I mean, I understand why Observer and Batch would be seperate, but why
> is Heatbug, Heatspace, and heatmodel in different files?  Other than the
> answer being because its easier to manipulate if it is modularized, is
> there another reason?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427