Re: God!, will these Heatbug questions ever cease???

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: God!, will these Heatbug questions ever cease???
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> Probably not...[grin]
>
> Although, I've had a religious experience when I finally "got it".
>
> But, I do have a question:
> I noticed in the SwarmDocs it says under the swarmobject library:
> "3.The explicit importation of the SwarmObject interface should be
> removed.
>    This is only provided for backward compatibility and when all the
>    libraries follow the interface conventions, then those conventions
>    should be encouraged."
> In the case of Heatbug, how does Heatbug.h inherit from
> swarmobject/SwarmObject.h if it is commented out?

Hmmm...  ... Hmmmmmmm...

It looks to me that the preprocessor is able to find the
SwarmObject.h and therefore resolve the inheritance relation
because
      Heatbug.h imports space.h
  and
      space.h imports Discrete2d.h
  and
      Discrete2d imports swarmobject.h
  and
      swarmobject.h imports SwarmObject.h

I've tried to confirm this but there are also about a
thousand other ways for the preprocessor to find a way to
import SwarmObject.h.  I just listed the shortest path I
found. (What a tangled web we weave...)

> I noticed that it is referenced in HeatbugObserverSwarm.h--does this
> imply that Heatbug.h gets what it needs through HeatbugObserverSwarm?
> If so, would that mean that you could of put all referenced libraries in
> "...Observer.." and they would be available to all sub-agents/swarms
> contained within the Observer?

No, Heatbug.h doesn't get anything from HeatbugObserverSwarm.h,
AFAIK.  Also, if you did decided to put everything in the
Observer then that would help you if you ran in batch mode.
The HeatbugModelSwarm is the only swarm that is in all
simulations. (see main.m)

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427