[Fwd: Re: suggestion/request for random sampling from a List (Collect

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: [Fwd: Re: suggestion/request for random sampling from a List (Collection)]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:10:19 -0300

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: suggestion/request for random sampling from a List (Collection) Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:28:14 -0300
Sven Thommesen wrote:

> But perhaps the default should be that every list object is connected to
> the UniformUnsigned object supplied in simtools on creation; that way even
> the casual swarmer would have a List that works out-of-the-box.
>
> Though there has been some discussion whether we ought to supply those
> random objects in simtools at all ... Anyone have comments on that ?
>
> -Sven Thommesen

If a method in the List object (or better yet, the collection object)
allowed the user to retrieve an object at random from that collection, I
would definitely use it several times in my application.  I support its
inclusion in the core libraries.  A second method to
"setUniformGenerator" would allow the user to override the use of the
default provided in simtools.  I also use
and support the inclusion of the default random number generators in
simtools.  It saves me the trouble of coding it myself.  That is my two
cents worth.

Rob Kewley

--- End Message ---