Swarm on IBM AIX

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: Swarm on IBM AIX
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:07:04 -0300

I am trying to run swarm in IBM AIX version 4 here at RPI.  I have
installed and compiled successfully all of the swarm libraries (1.0.2)
from source code.  I also successfully  compiled all of the objects in
my application.  However, linking is unsuccessful.  I get the following
error message:

~/swarm/battle (8) gmake
gcc -g -L/home/09/kewler/localibm/swarm-1.0.2/lib
-L/campus/X11/R6/core/1.0/@sys/lib -L/home/09/kewler/localibm/blt2.1/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -L/home/09/kewler/localibm/libtclobjc-1.1b6  -o battle
Location.o MilMap.o BatSummary.o ActionButton.o DataItem.o DataForm.o
Order.o Coa.o UnitOrg.o TaskOrg.o GUISwarm2.o UnitCdr.o BattleStats.o
BatModSwarm.o Combatant.o PopSwarm2.o BatObsSwarm.o BatBatchSwarm.o
DynMatrix.o trig.o main.o -lga -lanalysis -lsimtools -ltkobjc -lactivity
-lrandom -lswarmobject -lcollections -ldefobj -lspace -ltclobjc -lBLT
-ltk -ltcl  -lobjc -lX11 -lm
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: Unsafe
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: UnsafeAtMember
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: SafeAlways
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: DupIsError
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: DupRejected
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: KeepAllDups
ld: 0711-224 WARNING: Duplicate symbol: KeepCountOnly
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
ld: 0711-302 ERROR: Object
/home/09/kewler/localibm/swarm-1.0.2/lib/libswarmobject.a[SwarmObject.o],
csect <_SwarmObject.ro_m>
        The csect is part of the .text section, and relocation entries
        from the csect have been written to the .loader section.
ld: 0711-302 ERROR: Object
/home/09/kewler/localibm/swarm-1.0.2/lib/libdefobj.a[Create.o], csect
<_Create.ro_m>
        The csect is part of the .text section, and relocation entries
        from the csect have been written to the .loader section.
ld: 0711-302 ERROR: Object
/home/09/kewler/localibm/swarm-1.0.2/lib/libdefobj.a[Customize.o], csect
<_Customize.ro_m>
        The csect is part of the .text section, and relocation entries
        from the csect have been written to the .loader section.
ld: 0711-302 ERROR: Object
/home/09/kewler/localibm/swarm-1.0.2/lib/libdefobj.a[DefObject.o], csect
<_DefObject.ro_m>
        The csect is part of the .text section, and relocation entries
        from the csect have been written to the .loader section.
ld: 0711-302 ERROR: Object Location.o, csect <_Location.ro_m>
        The csect is part of the .text section, and relocation entries
        from the csect have been written to the .loader section.

Notice that I get the same "the csect is part ... .loader section." for
objects in the swarm libraries and my own application objects.  I am
using gnu make and gcc.  Also, the exact same source code compiles
successfully on Sun and Linux.  Are there any IBM AIX users out there
who can shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Kewley