Re: positioning probe windows

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: positioning probe windows
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:33:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Rick Riolo wrote:

> I tried the suggestion of Ken Cline in a recent message
> to swarm-support, and I don't get it to work.
>
> For example, if I try (in ObserverSwarm-buildObjects, but I don't think
> that is important):
>   id aProbeDisplay = NULL;
>   aProbeDisplay = [probeDisplayManager createProbeDisplayFor: parameters];
>   [aProbeDisplay->topLevel setPositionX: 0 Y: 0];
> then I get these compiler messages:
>     ObserverSwarm.m:69: warning: static access to object of type `id'
>     ObserverSwarm.m:69: structure has no member named `topLevel'
>     make: *** [ObserverSwarm.o] Error 1
> which is not surprising, I think, since the compiler doesn't know
> what object (structure) aProbeDisplay is for.
> And as Ken points out, if you try to do
>    SimpleProbeDisplay *aProbeDisplay;
> then we get a complaint that topLevel is protected.
> So I must be missing something about how Ken did it....Ken?

Sorry to hear it doesn't work.  Since you can't compile the
code and I can then that would suggest that either:
    1. We have different compiler options/flags,
or
    2. I'm including/importing header files that you are not,
or
    3. I'm linking to a library that you are not linking to,
or
    4. ?

My guess is that's its #2, that is when I compile gcc is
finding some structure that has a member named `topLevel'
and its leaving the rest up to me.

I do get a compiler warning:

   ModelObserver.m: In function `_i_ModelObserver__buildObjects':
   ModelObserver.m:103: warning: static access to object of type `id'

but that's all.

BTW, is `NULL' defined in your code, I know some others who
don't have `NULL' defined and use `nil' instead.  I was just
curious; I don't think is related.

Cheers,

Ken.

PS: My apologies for not responding right away, my time is
rather constrained this week.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427