Re: Dropping and copying

From: donalson
Subject: Re: Dropping and copying
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 00:05:40 -0800

Can you think of anything more frightening then building and debugging a
complex model.  Perfect for tonight...   :-)

Kerimcan Ozcan wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I know, some of you will call me miserable for staying in on a Halloween
> night and having nothing better to do than programming in Swarm, but
> anyways, here it goes.
>
> I have two Map objects, mapOld and mapNew respectively.
> Members of these map objects are swarmobjects themselves (with several
> variables and methods). Each time period, I use members in mapOld
> to update member in mapNew (mapOld members are not modified meanwhile).
> At the end of each time period, I would like to make mapOld an exact
> replica of mapNew. Next time period, I will start with members of this
> new mapOld object and update members of mapNew, and so on.  In other
> words, I have something similar to a double buffer operation here. I tried
>   [mapOld deleteAll];
>   [mapOld drop];
>   mapOld = [mapNew copy: [self getZone]];
> However, this didn't work. Is there a clean-cut way of doing what I want
> to achieve?
>
> Kerimcan Ozcan
> Doctoral Pre-Candidate in Marketing
> University of Michigan Business School
> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~kozcan/ozcan.html

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*