How does Cygnus Win32 handle the extra carriager returns? (was Re: Win95

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: How does Cygnus Win32 handle the extra carriager returns? (was Re: Win95 editor choice for swarm
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:09:21 -0600

When I read Dawn's note, I was reminded of a problem that happened to me
when I would edit files in Win95 and then try to use them in Linux.
Windows inserts the extra carriage return at the end of each line and
this CR does not show up in some Linux/Unix editors, but it is there
anyway, and programs won't compile because they keep finding the extra
CRs but the error message is totally misleading.  The unix editor Nedit
shows them perfectly well, incidentally, and you can do search/replace
on them.

I don't do MS windows, so I cant check this myself.  But I wonder if the
problem Dawn observes might be similar. Certainly it is highly likely
that MS windows inserts a bunch of hidden characters in a file and that
could be the reason it does not work.  But even if you use some nice
free windows editor like PFE you still get the CRs.

Does Cygnus Win32 treat files it finds as though they are written on
Unix (no extra CRs) or Windoze (plenty of CRs)

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn