gcc2.95.1, binutils assembler, and "filds" error message

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: gcc2.95.1, binutils assembler, and "filds" error message
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 15:30:19 -0500

I installed the binutils and gcc-2.95.1 rpms from ftp.varesearch.com on
2 machines. ON one, a Pentium II system, all is well. On the other
system, a Pentium I, it seems like nothing will compile anymore, not
swarm, not anything as far as I can see.  The errror message from the
compile is:

tmp/ccI41E5l.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccI41E5l.s:2823: Error: no such 386 instruction: `filds'
/tmp/ccI41E5l.s:2850: Error: no such 386 instruction: `filds'
make[2]: *** [pixmap.lo] Error 1

In www.dejanews.com, I searched for this and found people saying the
assembler is the problem.  He claimed configure scripts think I have a
bsd assembelr, not the one from binutils.

One person said he had a solution when he tried to compile gcc itself:

When I specified DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER to configure, things worked and I
experienced no problems in building gcc 2.95.
(http://x24.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=513869937&CONTEXT=936556295.196149255&hitnum=2)

I've tried to put DEFAULT_ASSEMBLER=/usr/bin/as before configure
statements, but it does no good, same filds error.

So I guessed I better ask here, since there are undoubtedly other RedHat
6.0 users in our list who have heard about it or will take advantage of
this warning!

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn