Re: Help! -- Creeping Error location.

From: William S. Shu
Subject: Re: Help! -- Creeping Error location.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:32:30 +0100

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> WS> *** event raised for error: InvalidArgument
> WS> *** function: _i_Object_s__doesNotRecognize_(), file:
> WS> /src/swarm-1.4.1/src/defobj/DefObject.m, line: 635
> WS> SwarmActivity_c does not recognize getPeriodActivity
>
> WS> Breakpoint 1, notifyDrop (obj=0x2ad3ae0, unused=0x0,
> WS> /home/noer/src/b20/comp-tools/devo/winsup/libccrt0.cc:81 (gdb) n
>
> WS> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> WS> 0x4cb7d9 in objc_msg_lookup ()
>
> Sounds like maybe the target of some method in notifyDrop is wrong
> somehow.  Who sends getPeriodActivity?

getPeriodActivity is a method of a PeriodSwarm object.  It was passed as
argument to addRef:withArgument:  (which, I believe, is arg in
notifyDrop).  (In fact, it is a modified version of the code you helped
out once, Marcus in:
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9908/0131.html.)

I do not think that is the problem as that worked in times past.  I have
compiled with -Wall -Werror as Paul suggested, but I still have the
problem.

Furthermore, the above message is an "innovation" after I tinkered with
the code.  Now, I just have my plain old segfault!  In fact, earlier seg
faults revealed there was evident memory corruption (when you start having
values like 0x1, 0x7 etc. for memory address, something is usually not
quite right!)

Any other suggestions?

William.