Adding and removing repeated pointers to a list

From: Jonathan Greenberg
Subject: Adding and removing repeated pointers to a list
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:01:38 -0700

I have some questions about how swarm handles the following algorithm with the
list collection:

My list represents and agent's "memory" -- each agent in the world remembers
interactions with other members, and then "forgets" them at a specified time.
As such, I need to know the behavior of the list in these two situations:

Time 1: Add agent "A"
Time 2: Add agent "B"
Time 3: Add agent "A"

Is the list now:

or is it
?

Secondly, if the list does, in fact, contain "A,B,A" (multiple pointers to
agent A), what happens if I "remove A" from the list, will I end up with "B"
or "B,A" from that list?  Thanks in advance!

--jonathan