Re: Installation problems

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Installation problems
Date: 22 Sep 1999 10:36:06 -0700

MG> After these changes make runs without errors till it needs Emacs
MG> (by the way: in the installation guide Emacs is never
MG> mentioned). I use XEmacs which produces the following error: [..]
MG> Symbol's function definition is void: with-temp-buffer

GNU Emacs is only needed for a Java build.  If you don't intend to do a
build for Java support, you can disable it with --without-jdkdir at
configure time.

MG> I hope that someone can give me some explanations for these
MG> problems and maybe even some solutions.

glibc1/libc5 isn't supported in Swarm 2.0.1.  (It's really old, and
we don't have a machine here to test it.)  The initSimtoolsGUI symbol
stuff sounds like a linker bug.

MG> or because I only have an account on this machine and therefore can't
MG> write anything in the usr/local-directory.

If for some reason the system can't be upgraded, but there
is plenty of disk space, you can actually install glibc2 and everything
Swarm needs from a user account.   It doesn't matter who installs Swarm
or where it goes.