Re: Need help installing swarm 2.0.1

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Need help installing swarm 2.0.1
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:18:52 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

>    When I compile I swarm app, I get warning messages like:
>
>    /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_Colormap' are not defined
>
>    when I execute the application, I get warning messages like:
>
>    /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_Colormap' are not defined
>
>    but the app runs fine.  What causes these errors and what can I do
>    to stop them?
>
> Thanks,
Yes, this in the FAQ.

2.3.3. Compiler warnings. Even after patching Swarm, if you compiled it
with egcs/gcc you will get "harmless" warnings at compile time about
objective-C symbols being undefined. This is a long standing flaw in the
egcs/gcc that Marcus Daniels has corrected. (see
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9905/0069.html).
You can patch your egcc and recompile it and Swarm to make the warnings
go away.

The most recent version of marcus's patch is in the swarm ftp site in a
directory with a name like needed-software/patches.

The RPMS distributed by SFI are not built with a patched version of GCC,
so they cause those messages too.
--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn