User Report: Swarm Java

From: Miles Parker
Subject: User Report: Swarm Java
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:11:34 -0400

Just a report that everything is looking good! I had no problem setting things
up to work with Visual Cafe, so you can add that to your list of environments
supported. So far I can't get it to work with the IBM JDK, got

E:\Swarm-2.0.1\jheatbugs-2.0.1>D:\Java\JDKIBM\bin\java -classpath .;D:\Java\JDKI
BM\lib\classes.zip;E:\Swarm-2.0.1\share\swarm\swarm.jar;D:\VisualCafe\Java\lib\c
ollections.zip StartHeatbugs
/src/Swarm/swarm/src/defobj/directory.m:547 get_type_field_for_class

Wonder if this is similar to the Visual Age problem? Let me know if I can help
you figure this out, as it stands I'll just use VC.

Suggest documentation fix,  in
http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/release-apps.html#javaapps, replace
"swarmjdk.jar" with "Swarm-2.0.1/share/swarm/swarm.jar" I had a little trouble
finding this file.

also, for some of those people (like me) using JDKs 1.1.x you will have to get
a copy of the pre-Java 1.2 collections classes (as a zip, I'd be happy to send
it to you) and replace the following line in Heatbugs:

import java.util.List;
import java.util.ArrayList;

with

import com.sun.java.util.collections.List;
import com.sun.java.util.collections.ArrayList;

[The classes were not a part of the standard distribution and so are in
different packages and must be added separetly.]

-Miles

Miles T. Parker
Software Engineer
The Brookings Institution  1775 Mass. Ave. NW  Washington, DC  20036
mailto:address@hidden  voice 202.797.6136  fax 202.797.6319