Hierarchical Social Entropy Calculation for Java: Test code available

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Hierarchical Social Entropy Calculation for Java: Test code available
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:43:24 -0600

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/HSETest.jar

This jar package includes 2 classes need to calculate Tucker Balch's
measure of diversity, "Hierarchical Social Entropy."  There is a small
demo program HSETest.java that calls the HSE calculator.

This is a test version, I'm checking with Tucker and other interested
experts to see if it works correctly.  If you want to be an interested
experts, by all means, take a shot at it.  It is simple, easy to
compile, requires no Swarm at all. "javac *.java" and "java HSETest" is
all it takes.

This class is also available in the Objective-C format, in the same
directory.

One of the strong selling points of Java, I think, is the rich
collections library. To do the Obj-C version last summer, I had to
create an Obj-C class wrapper around the avltree library, and so anybody
who wanted to use the HSE had to install that class, and doing so
required an up-to-date Swarm. Now, since the java-based HSE uses the
java collections, no such thing is needed. HSE-java requires only the
HierSocialEntropy.java and UDiamCluster.java classes.