Another volunteer opportunity (was Re: Where to get Staelins tutorial?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Another volunteer opportunity (was Re: Where to get Staelins tutorial?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:10:41 -0600

This might be an example of one of the community projects I've been
pushing about.
Charles wrote some tutorial material, and as a punishment for it and
other things, he was promoted, and did not have time to finish it up.

Back then, I had not much Java interest, but since then I've picked up a
lot and I think we should finish up Charles's work.  In case Charles is
reading this, it would be nice if he voiced his support to tie up the
loose ends.

I put a copy of the zip file that Charles sent me at this location:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/OtherPeoplesCode/CharlesJavaTutorial.ZIP
That package has a couple editions of an MS Word file and the sample
code.  IT represents a lot of effort and it is a shame that it is not
finished up.  I feel as though this could be a community responsibility.

As I recall, there were some style/usage elements in Java-Swarm that
were not firm at the time this was written, but now they are more clear,
and the code examples need some revising.  So, for example, these should
be written using Java Collections, not Swarm Collections, where
possible, and also I think Marcus Daniels said he thought we should make
Java classes as subclasses of the ordinary Java Object class, not
SwarmObject, unless we have a good reason for doing so, such as probe
management.

As mentioned in this list, there is a pdf document here, I don't know
who manufactured it or if charles stands behind it.
http://eco83.econ.unito.it/swarm/materiale/jtutorial/jSimpleBug.pdf